Now that the holiday season has arrived, many of you are beginning to wrap all the gifts you have purchased or plan to purchase (for those last minute shoppers). This can become quite a challenge and painful task, especially when you are not accustom to wrapping a number of packages at once, versus spread out through the year for special occasions or birthdays. If you are not conscious of your body mechanics/posture while wrapping it can result in a repetitive stress injury. There is no worse way to ruin the magic and joy of the holidays than being in pain.
While there is no perfect technique for gift wrapping, making a few simple ergonomic changes can improve the entire process of holiday gift wrapping and ensure you are able to enjoy this special time of year with your family and friends.
- Maintain good posture
- Create an ergonomic work station (Avoid wrapping gifts on the floor)
- Remember to stretch every 30 minutes
- Take breaks every hour to move around
- Work in a well-lit area
- Use ergonomic wrapping tools (i.e.: pop-up tape dispenser, gift wrap cutter or ergonomic scissors)
- Use good lifting mechanics when moving large gifts.