– Increase Physical Activity/Strengthening: this will increase strength, balance, coordination, and flexibility. Examples: walking, water aerobics, tai chi, general leg/arm strength programs.
– Change your footwear: heels and slip on shoes can make you trip or slip and fall. Be sure to continuously get your feet measured for properly fitted shoes, buy non-skid soles, and avoid thick soles.
– Remove Clutter: Improve safety in your home by avoiding/securing throw rugs, cleaning spills up immediately, moving boxes and phone cords out of your direct pathway.
– Improve lighting: use night lights in case you have to get up during the night, turn on lights before entering rooms.
– Use Assistive Device: use your cane or walker if feeling unsteady around the house/in public, other assistive devices such as shower chairs and handle bars in the shower also may be necessary if you are having difficulty.
– Medicines/Blood Pressure: check blood pressure regularly and when lying, sit for a minute before standing up. Check with MD if you feel medicines are making you feel dizzy or off-balance.
– Avoid excessive Alcohol/Tobacco use: this can decrease your lung capacity/endurance and judgment.
– Maintain an Adequate Diet: Strength and energy can be depleted by not taking in enough calories or water.
We treat patients at risk of falls and with balance problems in the 34711 area! Call us today!