The holidays tend to be a time of overindulgence! And holiday parties can make it very hard for people who are trying to be healthy. All that rich food and drink is just there for the taking!
Here are some tips to survive those holiday parties:
- Stay hydrated! Oftentimes we think we are hungry when we are actually thirsty. A good rule of thumb is to drink a glass of water and wait 15 minutes to see if you are still hungry.
- Don’t leave the house hungry! Just like you buy more when you grocery shop on an empty stomach, you will eat more at a party if you arrive famished. Have a healthy snack at home before you go!
- Watch the cocktail intake! We all know alcohol is empty calories. But on top of that, cocktails are typically alcohol mixed with sugary beverages, which can significantly increase the calorie content. One cup of alcoholic eggnog is around 400 calories!
- Out of sight, out of mind! Try to position yourself where your back is to the food tables. If you can’t see it, it will be less of a temptation.
- Don’t go back for seconds! Take what you want the first time around, and let yourself be satisfied with that. Having seconds usually leads to that “too-full” feeling, which means it wasn’t necessary in the first place.
- Use a dessert plate instead of a dinner plate – we tend to fill up all the available space on our plates when we’re eating at a buffet. Using a dessert plate makes that space smaller so we will eat less and still feel like we indulged.
- Watch the sauces! Just remember that a little goes a long way. Condiments can be chock full of heavy creams and added sugar.
- Remember why you’re actually there! Holiday parties are for spending time with the people that we love. That should be our focus!