One of my favorite things to make is scrambling peppers, onions, and eggs together, topped off with hot sauce. If we have them in the house, adding in mushrooms is yummy too! Not only is this meal filled with vitamins and minerals but plenty of protein! It’s also a very light meal so it doesn’t leave you feeling overly full where you can’t do anything. It actually leaves me feeling energized and happy!
Eggs are know to be an inexpensive food with high quality protein. Over half the amount of protein in an egg is found in the egg white. The egg white also includes Vitamin B2 which helps breakdown proteins, fats, and carbohydrates while playing a vital role in helping maintain the body’s energy supply. Eggs are also rich in Selenium, Vitamin D & B12 along with minerals Zinc, Iron and Copper.
The egg yolk is a fat soluble vitamin source that includes Vitamin A, D, E, and K along with Lecithin. Lecithin is a compound that enables emulsification of eggs to make hollandaise sauce or mayonnaise. They also contain more fat and calories than the egg whites.
- A large hard boiled egg weighing 50 grams is 78 calories and has 6.2 grams of Protein and 5.3 grams of total fat.
- One large scrambled egg at 61 grams comes out to 91 calories and contains 6.1 grams of protein and 6.7 grams of total fat.
- Lastly, one large fried egg weighing 42 grams contains 92 calories, 6 grams of protein, and 7 grams of total fat.
Fresh, raw bell peppers contain mostly water (92%). The other 8% contains carbs and a small amount of protein and fat.
- 3.5 ounces or 100 grams of raw, red bell pepper contain 31 calories, 1 gram of Protein, 6 grams of Carbs, 4.2 grams of sugar, and 2.1 gams of Fiber. Red Bell Peppers also contain 169% of your DV of Vitamin C.
- One serving of green peppers is 119 grams which is slightly over 4 ounces. It contains a total of 24 calories, 1 gram of Protein, 6 grams of Carbs, 2.9 grams of sugar, and 2 grams of Fiber.
- Lastly yellow peppers. One serving is about 6.5 ounces or 186 grams. This contains 50 calories, 2 grams of Protein, 12 grams of Carbs, and 2 grams of Fiber.
All peppers contain Quercetin and Luteolin. Studies point to these polyphenol antioxidants preventing chronic conditions such as heart disease and cancer.
Onions are a very powerful superfood whether cooked or eaten raw. All onions are an excellent source of Vitamin C, Sulphuric Compounds, Flavonoids and Phytochemicals. Phytochemicals occur naturally in fruits and vegetables and react positively with the body to trigger healthy reactions. Flavonoids produce pigment in many fruits and vegetables and have been linked to helping reduce the risk of Parkinson’s disease, stroke, or cardiovascular disease. Onions also provide powerful benefits against certain types of cancer cells. Though all onions are good for your health, red onions contain a higher amount of antioxidants along with cancer prevention properties. But yellow and white contain more fiber and a higher amount of sulfur.
A serving size is 1 medium onion which is 5.3 ounces or 148 grams. This contains 45 calories, zero of which are from fat. One serving also contains 4% of your DV of carbs, 12% of your DV of Fiber, 5% of your DV of Potassium, 4% of your DV of Iron and Calcium, and lastly 1 gram of Protein.
Next time you make breakfast, try adding in peppers and onions if you haven’t already. Or maybe just one of the two. I promise you won’t be disappointed.