You might not know it, but Physical Therapists treat a wide variety of medical conditions!
importance of physical therapy
Physical therapists (PT) are a branch in the healthcare field where trained and licensed professionals use exercise regimens and gym equipment to help treat abnormal physical functions. Your first session of PT will include an evaluation of your condition along with a health history check. After your evaluation your PT will work with their team to help restore and maintain your physical function and mobility. Depending on the setting you’re in for PT, the team could consist of a variety of different healthcare professions. The team can also include close friends and family.
Benefits of physical therapy
Some great benefits of physical therapy include:
- Improve your balance in situations that mimic your daily life
- Help strengthen your core
- Manage pain and age-related medical issues
- Eliminate pain without the need of medication
- Improve physical activity and mobility with strengthening and stretching exercises
conditions treated by physical therapists
As stated above, physical therapists treat a wide range of conditions. This consists of medical conditions, sports injuries, respiratory issues, and chronic pains.
- Lymphedema is caused from excess fluids gathering in the lymphatic system. The fluid then moves around in the bloodstream, causing swelling. Physical therapists use Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT) to reduce swelling and prevent future fluid buildup.
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Your muscles and bones degenerate and over time weaken owing to age or various disorders. This can be treated with mobility exercises.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Wrist injuries and pain can be fixed by changing posture and performing stretches and exercises throughout the day.
- Sports Injuries
- Different types of sports injuries such as an ACL Tear or Stress Fracture can be treated with appropriate recovery programs for a safe and quick recovery.
While there are more conditions than listed above, physical therapy is the way to go. Whether it’s after surgery, a consistent chronic pain, or a lifetime disorder your physical therapist will be your partner in getting you back to living your life the way you want!
If you’re located here in Central Florida, give us a call! We work one-on-one with our patients and our staff ranges from a PT, PTA, and an AT. Click here to learn more about us. We would love to work with you and get you back to feeling better!